Force Ten From Stoneheim
Friday November 7, The Plain of Scales
We were two days in that tunnel out of Covenant, The Watcher crossing above us every few hours, shaking the ground in his fury and twice nearly burying us alive. Sometime on the second day the tremors grew less distinct, and we were relieved to find nothing but rats and mosquitoes waiting for us when we reached Shoal.
We learned there that by coincidence the combined armies of the North are only four days behind us, heading for the mountains to stop The Deceiver, another of The Fallen Lords, from crossing the Cloudspine before winter.
But we can’t wait for them: There is a World Knot west of the Cloudspine and The Head insists that the enemy has learned to travel through the Knots. If we don’t destroy this portal we might hold the mountains only to be outflanked by forces emerging from the Knot behind us.
Eight dwarven irregulars and every man in Scales from the Legion have volunteered for the mission.
- Covenant: Once a major city of The Province, Covenant was sacked and destroyed fifteen years ago by the Dark. ↩
- The Watcher: One of the Fallen. ↩
- Maeldun: One of the Nine. ↩
- Total Codex: A magical book of immense power, in which is written the fate of every creature that will ever be born. ↩
- Fallen Lords: Six powerful wizards who were suborned by Balor. Among them: Shiver, The Deceiver, The Watcher, and Soulblighter. ↩
- Cloudspine Mountains: A mountain range spanning the continent,running north to south across its center. An almost impassable barrier, the Cloudspine has only three passes—Bagrada, Seven Gates, and The Stair of Grief. Even these are only passable during the summer months. ↩
- World Knot: Ancient relics which allow near-instant movement from place to place. ↩
- The Head: A severed head animated by its own arcane magic, it was discovered buried under tons of sand and rock and claimed to be one of Balor's ancient enemies. ↩