Saturday April 25, The Foot of Tharsis
The tales of Alric’s swordsmanship cannot begin to describe what I have just witnessed. He possesses the sword Balmung and wields it with such skill that the magics contained therein spring forth to strike his enemies down. In this man Soulblighter has truly met his match.
The whole of the Legion has been steeling itself for this — the final confrontation with Soulblighter. He is cornered and desperate, making the fight that much more terrible. We engaged his main force two days ago and have been pushing it back toward the Cloudspine ever since. Our casualties number nearly half of our force, but it is certain that we have inflicted far greater damage than we received.
We have Soulblighter’s army caught between the Cloudspine, the Ire River, and Tharsis — the legendary forge of the Trow. With The Deceiver in possession of part of his being, Soulblighter no longer has the ability to escape.
We will succeed, for to falter now would be to betray those who have gone before us.
- Alric: An Avatara of years past, Alric is the only surviving member of the Nine sorcerers who opposed the Fallen Lords during the Great War. Alric reclaimed his throne after defeating Balor. He has spent the last sixty years rebuilding the Province. ↩
- Soulblighter: Balor's second in command during the Great War. Arguably the most dangerous of the Fallen Lords, his cruelty and ambition knew no bounds. Many think that he was once Damas, one of Connacht's lieutenants. ↩
- Cloudspine Mountains: A mountain range spanning the continent,running north to south across its center. An almost impassable barrier, the Cloudspine has only three passes—Bagrada, Seven Gates, and The Stair of Grief. Even these are only passable during the summer months. ↩
- Tharsis: An ancient volcano overlooking Seven Gates. ↩
- The Deceiver: One of the Fallen Lords who served Balor during the Great War. His rivalry with the other Fallen Lords led to his downfall. He disappeared after the Watcher decimated his army at Seven Gates. ↩