The Last Battle
Tuesday July 21, The Fortress
Alric’s plan is a mad one.
One of the many strange things we found while trapped inside the Tain was the shredded battle standard of that long dead race of evil creatures called the Myrkridia. I thought that we had left it behind, but someone must have climbed that horrible pile of skulls and brought it out with them when we escaped.
The Myrkridia were the most vicious servants of the Dark in another time, now long past, and Balor himself imprisoned them within the Tain. Or at least that’s what Alric says. I’d always heard that the Myrkridia were hunted to extinction by Connacht, the great hero of the Wind Age.
Alric says Connacht and Balor are two different names for the same person. I think four months in the desert addled his mind. How could the greatest hero of the Wind Age, the king of Muirthemne during its Golden Age, become the greatest evil of our time?
Alric intends to approach within a hundred yards of the fortress, and raise the Myrkridian standard. Because of Balor’s old enmity toward the Myrkridia, Alric is certain that this will so enrage Balor that he will come to deal with us himself.
All we have to do is plant the standard and wait.
- Alric: One of The Nine, former King of the Southern Provinces. ↩
- The Tain: An artifact created by the Smiths of Muirthemne during the Empire of the Cath Bruig. ↩
- Myrkridia: A terrible race of flesh-eaters with a limitless capacity for evil. During the Wind Age, the Myrkridia were trapped in the Tain by Connacht and thought destroyed. ↩
- Balor: Leader of the Fallen Lords. ↩
- Connacht: Great hero of the Wind Age, Connacht trapped the Myrkridia in the Tain and imprisoned the Trow. Ruling during a golden age of peace, Connacht disappeared from Muirthemne, and was thought to be dead. ↩
- Muirthemne: Ancient capital of the Empire of the Cath Bruig, home to mighty sorcerers and seat of a great empire. It was completely shattered and destroyed by the Dark. This is the place that the Tain was made. ↩