Thursday April 23, Lesotho Dam
This morning we met up with a scouting party from the Legion about half a day’s march south of Silvermines. The Deceiver boasted of his victory over Soulblighter, clutching a mangled crow and claiming to have captured “a part of the murder”, crippling his former ally.
The scouts told us that Alric and nearly three thousand men from the Legion have come from Muirthemne to face Soulblighter. Unfortunately, they were met by Shiver and her army in the valley about two hours downstream from the dam. If the dam were destroyed, the resulting deluge would kill everything in its path for miles.
Upon hearing this, The Deceiver shook his head, his face twisting in anger. He moved slowly through the crowd, commanding all those present to defend the dam, insisting that he would punish those who allowed it to fall. Without another word, he headed downstream.
I asked one of the Black Robes why The Deceiver had not stayed to help us and he tersely replied, “he goes to warn the Emperor — moving through odd angles; faster than any man, and if unobserved, much faster than that”.
If we fail and Soulblighter destroys the dam, the Legion will be slaughtered with no chance to defend itself.
- Silvermines: A small mining town near Seven Gates. ↩
- The Deceiver: One of the Fallen Lords who served Balor during the Great War. His rivalry with the other Fallen Lords led to his downfall. He disappeared after the Watcher decimated his army at Seven Gates. ↩
- Soulblighter: Balor's second in command during the Great War. Arguably the most dangerous of the Fallen Lords, his cruelty and ambition knew no bounds. Many think that he was once Damas, one of Connacht's lieutenants. ↩
- Alric: An Avatara of years past, Alric is the only surviving member of the Nine sorcerers who opposed the Fallen Lords during the Great War. Alric reclaimed his throne after defeating Balor. He has spent the last sixty years rebuilding the Province. ↩
- Muirthemne: (Llancarfan). The ancient capital of the Cath Bruig empire, Muirthemne was home to many great sorcerers and craftsmen, whose works included the Tain. Ruled by Connacht during the Wind Age, it was sacked and utterly razed when he returned as Balor during the Great War. ↩
- Shiver: One of the Fallen Lords. ↩
- Warlocks of the Scholomance: When rumors began to spread shortly after the end of the war that the Deceiver was entombed somewhere in the Cloudspine, an odd collection of men dared the journey to find him. It was many years before anyone recognized them as Warlocks from the Scholomance, ancient allies of The Deceiver and collaborators of the Fallen Lords. ↩